Thursday, January 1, 2015

one word

If you've been following me for a while, you know that I always choose one word to focus on each year. Or rather, a word chooses me! I'm never quite sure where the words come from, each year it is a surprise gift from God. Sometimes the word puzzles me or surprises me. (Honestly, I never did figure out why my word was Strength in 2013.) Always, after a year of pondering my word, I grow. This past year, my word was Grace.
Last Christmas, I received wooden letters from Ally, which I painted and hung in my studio as a constant reminder. I read several wonderful books on Grace. I sought out Bible verses and quotes containing my word, and I thought about it a lot. I learned a lot about myself this past year and I do believe I grew in many ways. Offering Grace to others has become more natural to me and has healed my heart in many ways. I have seen Grace in others, often when I least expected it. I know that the lessons I have learned will stay with me for the rest of my life.

But, alas, it's time to move on to a new word! I have been thinking about what my word should be for a few weeks now. Sometimes it's hard to turn off my own voice and listen for what God wants me to focus on. One word kept coming back to me and I fought it. I had this little chat with God:

God: your new word is imagine.
Me: doesn't that seem a bit shallow? Maybe I should choose something meatier? Something deeper?
God: Imagine. That's the word.
Me: seriously?
Ally: what are you going to do Mom, lay on the couch and dream all day? (this from the girl who chose FUNNEL CAKE as her word last year!)
Me: maybe?

Lest you worry that nothing will be accomplished in my household this year with me focussing on a less-than-productive word, rest assured that hubby has chosen ACTION as his word for the year. It's all good!

I auditioned other words but they didn't feel quite right. They just didn't stick! I'd think of something deep & meaningful (Leigh Anne has chosen the word Obedience! now there's a good, solid, challenging word, right?) and a few hours later I couldn't even remember what I had thought of. Just Imagine. sigh....


And for Christmas this year, Ally gave me this.....
And Imagine it is! Now I'm getting excited about the possibilities...... Imagine the woman I wish to be. Imagine the places I'd like to go.  Imagine the creative possibilities! I can't wait to see where this year takes me.

I look forward to sharing the ways I choose to explore my new word throughout this new year. For starters, I'm scouring the internet for a perfect necklace that says "imagine" so I can have a constant reminder around my neck at all times (hey, a girl can always use more jewelry, right?). And the crafty Tuesday girls have a special project set for next week to help us kick off the new year. But I'm getting ahead of myself. More on that later!

For now, I can only begin to imagine where this is going to take me! Do you choose a word to focus on every year? I'd love it if you'd share it with me in the comments.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

I had to laugh thinking how "shallow" my word was last year, but it was the perfect word for me in my life . . . and so much FUN! God knows what we need & when we need it. I'm looking forward to seeing where our "I" words take us this year!

maureen said...

My word for 2014 was DARE. I dared myself to step out of my routine and try new things all year. I had a blast learning new skills and having new adventures.

This year my word is CHALLENGE. I need to challenge myself to actually do some of the things I've been putting off for too long.

Chris Lawlor said...

Hi Ellyn... I forgot that you chose grace for 2014, that is what I chose for 2015��. I am curious if you could share what bible studies you did on grace. Thanks!

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

I have a phrase this year. One Day at a Time. With my surgery late last year, I think you will understand why I chose this phrase. I can't think of one word that suits my purpose. If you think of one, I will switch. :)